Thursday, March 3, 2011

Herb Spelt Pizza Dough

A Previous Post revisited.
Can't say enough about how much I LOVE this recipe.
Not only is it quick and easy, it is so versatile.
I use whatever flour I have on hand, and if I don't have the time to let
it rise, I Don't!

I made calzones out of this dough that were so yummy, using whatever I had on hand.

Options I have Used:

Option #1:  Leftover taco soup Calzone
Spread sour cream over unbaked crust,
then spread taco sauce and/or salsa
Add Taco soup(using slotted spoon to drain most of the juice)
or can just add taco meat
tomatoes, onions, cheese(opt.)
These are good without the (optional) items if you don't have them on hand.

Option #2: Pizza Calzones of course, using whatever and not necessary to use cheese.

Option #3: Chicken salad Calzone

Option #4: Cheeseburger type fillings

Option#5: Can fill with most anything!!!  :-)
Buffalo style Chicken,
Burrito style using rice and/or beans


Just fill HALF of your round pizza dough, then fold over, seal and bake.

We have also made this dough into garlic bread sticks or
I have used this dough to make tiny Chicken or Pepperoni Bundles using Cassie Martin's recipe.

Basically, you make calzones the size of a large crescent role, fill with
just pepperoni and dip in pizza sauce after they are baked.  Or....put sauce inside, for less mess, We carry these when we go to Tractor Pulls for a snacky supper on the run.

The chicken Bundles recipe is so easy and Yummy too!

Shred chicken from 3 or 4 boneless chicken breasts or equivalent
Mix together 8 oz cream cheese and 1/2 stick butter/margarine
Then mix in 1/2 T. garlic powder
3/4 T. onion powder
1 T. parsley flakes


The only Pizza Dough I make anymore. Taste is Better than any Pizza Dough I have ever tasted & it is Healthier!
Prep time: 3 hours
Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. warm water
1 T. sugar
1 pkg. active dry yeast
6 c. spelt flour (can use other flour, this is the healthiest option)
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. salt
1 T. Italian herbs/seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chipotle powder OR 1/2 tsp. cumin and 1/4 tsp ground red/cayenne pepper
Opt. ingredients for the top of the crust:
olive oil
garlic powder
garlic salt
parmesan
Making the dough:
Pour the warm water into bowl with sugar and yeast. Let sit until it activates.
Mix in 1 c. of flour.
Mix olive oil & spices together & then add to the yeast/flour dough.
Add 4 1/2 c. flour 1/2 c. at a time.
Kneading the dough:
Sprinkle the last 1/2 c. flour on to surface & knead the dough for about 6 min.
Knead dough until it feels smooth and springy.
Rising:
Grease a large bowl.
Form the dough into a ball, put into the greased bowl.
Turn the dough until it is coated with oil, evenly.
Cover & let rise until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 475. If you have a baking stone, put it in the oven while it preheats & while you shape your pizza.
Shaping:
Punch dough down to break up large bubbles.
Roll out to desired size & thickness.
Place onto pre-heated baking stone or sprayed cookie/pizza sheet.
Take a fork & jab your dough about every inch to keep it from bubbling up while baking.
Prebaking:
Turn your oven down to 400.
Spray crust with olive oil, concentrating on the edges.
Sprinkle with garlic salt & garlic powder.
Sprinkle the edges with parmesan.
This step is opt., but I think it MAKES the dough even better.
Bake for about 10 min.
Top with whatever you like. Prebaking keeps your toppings from getting mushy & overcooked.
Slide the pizza back in & cook until the cheese melts.
For an even more flavorful crust, let it rise in the fridge for at 6 hours or more, take it out 15 min. before you are ready to roll it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I've not ever used spelt flour. Do you get it at the grocery or do you have to buy it at a special store?

The Dickinsons said...

Deanna, as far as we know there wasn't much mold in our new home, unless it is hidden in our carpet. It is just appearing on all of our wooden furniture, books, blankets, etc. etc. that we moved INTO our new home. So, we are washing, sorting, throwing, etc.
Thanks for your prayers! Love and miss y'all!

The Dickinsons said...

Your pizza dough sounds yummy...just not sure what "spelt" is called in Spanish. =)