Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Spanish~Style Quinoa

I have been wondering how to use Quinoa because it is healthy & less fat.
So...yesterday I found some recipes online & bought some quinoa.
This was Delicious!
Quinoa can be used in place of rice in most any recipe.
However, don't expect a rice texture, because it has its own texture.
My kids loved this too, they thought it was so neat how it looks before it is cooked.
Then, after it cooks it is cute little circles with little rings, which are the shells of the quinoa.
You are supposed to rinse your quinoa before cooking.
I need to get me a bigger strainer that has real small holes. :-/
I used a sifter that I had, but it was too small & hard not too lose some of the quinoa over the sides.
I served the recipe in a layered Taco Salad like this.
Organic tortilla chips crumbled
Organic Spring Mix with Spinach
Quinoa
Taco Meat (Ground Deer:-)
Guacamole
Sour Cream
YUMMY!!

Spanish-Style Quinoa
SUBMITTED BY: Momi
"This quinoa dish is a delicious and higher protein alternative to Spanish rice. This is a nice side dish to a Mexican meal, or it can be used as a filling in burritos."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN 1 Hr
Original recipe yield 4 cups

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 can of diced tomatoes & add only 2 cups of water
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 t. salt

DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Stir in the quinoa, onion, garlic, and green pepper.
Cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes until the onion is tender,
and the quinoa has lightly toasted.
Stir in the tomato sauce or tomatoes & water,
then season with the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover,
and simmer until the quinoa is tender,
and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
Stir the quinoa occasionally as it cooks.


I added more seasoning to my taste. After everything is in the pan,
taste the water,
then add more seasoning as needed.


Homemade Guacamole

1 avocado smashed with a fork until smooth
1/4 c. Omega-3 Mayonnaise
1/4 tomato chopped
1 T. lemon juice
onions (opt.)
by
Laura Hausman

3 comments:

Janie said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm............would love to try it!

Maggie said...

also...beautiful family pics on the side.

Grace~The Mommy On the Bus said...

oooohhhh! That sounds DELICIOUS! Thanks for linking us to this! I'm gonna try it!!!