Friday, September 18, 2009

"Maker's Diet" Friendly Recipes

Some recipes I have adapted to work with most phases of the Maker's Diet. Iuse a Large "T" for Tablespoon & small "t" for teaspoon.


~~Zucchini Crescent Pie-minus the Pie~~
(This recipe came from
Brenda, sounded so yummy I wanted to try it. But, we are trying a healthier diet for a little while, so I had to find a way to adapt it with Laura's help. This is what I did & we Love It~my mother used other squash & she said it tasted awesome too)

3 T. butter
6 c. zucchini
1/4 c. onions
3 T. parsley
3/4 t. salt & pepper
1/3 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. basil
1/3 t. oregano
4 eggs.
1 1/4 c. ricotta or 2 c. mozzarella or muenster cheese
3-4 t. mustard

If it is a large zucchini, peel & slice thin. I peeled in strips & let a few strips of the peeling on for color & nutrients. Chop onions pretty fine.

In skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add zucchini & onions; cook 6 min., stir occasionally, until tender. Stir in all seasonings.

In bowl beat eggs & add cheese. Pour into the vegetables & mix gently together.

Spray or grease heavily a 9-10" glass pie plate, squirt the mustard on the bottom of the pie
plate (do not cover, just so you have a nice amt. )

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 min. or until lightly browned.

(If you like it a little thicker you can add 3T. of flour, but I found that it doesn't need the flour.)

~~Sugar Free French Dressing~~
1/2 c. olive oil
3/4 c. honey
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. Worcestershire
1/3 c. homemade ketchup
1/4 t. onion salt
1/4 c. Braggs cider vinegar if you have otherwise regular Apple cider will work fine
1 T. or so chopped onion.

I just put this all in the blender & blend on high. Increase/decrease ingred. to taste. Rob doesn't like the vinegar taste so I use less for him.

~~Easy Breezy Homemade Ketchup~~
6 oz. organic tomato paste (I think you could use real tomatoes & not use the water, but I haven't tried it yet)
1/2 c. honey
1/8 c. white vinegar
1/8 c. white balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. water
1 t. salt
1/4 t. onion (finely chopped or can use powder)
1/8 t. garlic powder

Just put in a small sauce pan & let simmer for 20 min. or so until the ingred. are blended well.


So easy & very good I think. Especially if you are using in recipes. I used this for my meatloaf sauce, just added mustard & worcestershire & it was delicious.

~~Simple Homemade Taco Sauce~~
Blend on High:
4 Tomatoes
1 t. red pepper
3/4 t. chili powder
1 1/4 t. salt
2 t. white vinegar
1 T. onions
1 T. jalapeno
1 t. taco seasoning
1 . cumin
1 T. honey.

I would not add the whole amt. of the hot spices until you taste it. This is the amt. we like, but it may be too hot for your likes. The honey also might need to be adjusted to your likeness.

~~Delicious Chicken Marinade~~
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/8 c. lemon juice
1 T. liquid smoke
1 T. spicy mustard
1 t. pepper
1 t. garlic powder
Put in a large ziploc bag with chicken & Marinade up to 4 hours. Does not have to be that long if you are short on time. I use this amt. of marinade for 6 chicken breasts.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deanna, I've not taken the time to check out people's blogs lately... Sorry! I love all your families photos at the beach... they are gorgeous, you all have such a beautiful family!
I'm looking forward to trying some of your recipes too... just don't have all the ingredients just now. Thanks for the pointers for your Taco Sauce. I'll let you know how it turns out, if I don't kill it, that is. Love ya,
Laura Hausman

Anonymous said...

Finally got to make this Quiche and we LOVE IT... and yes your Taco Sauce is the BEST EVER... we are hooked!
love ya,
Laura